Where to Find Owl Be Crafty:

Monday, October 19, 2015

Falling Leaves Card

Happy Monday! For today's post I wanted to share another Fall themed card. It's absolutely beautiful today in Florida. There's barely any humidity and a slight chill in the air. Feeling like Autumn...finally! As I mentioned before, we don't really get to see any leaves change so I figured I'd put some in my card design.


I started by die cutting the leaf from a copper foil paper. In my mind I had another idea for this card but once I saw the piece cut, I immediately thought what a fun shaker card it would make. I wanted to keep the card flat so I decided that a window shaker using my Fuse tool would be best.  To do this, I made a A2 card base from Khaki paper and then cut another piece of Khaki paper to fit the front panel. The Leaf Silhouettes die from Papertrey Ink comes with a solid leaf die as well. I used this to create my window in both the card base and my extra panel. I made sure to run them together through my Big Shot to ensure a seamless look.

Next, I used my solid leaf die as a guide for my Fuse tool. Laying it down on the Avery Elle clear stamp pocket, I ran the Fuse tool around the leaf. I had to remember to not complete the shape so that I would have room to drop in sequins. Once I choose a few colors, I used a small spoon to shovel them into the leaf and then went back with my Fuse tool to seal it all up. If you haven't used one of these Fuse tools yet, I would highly recommend it. It's a genius way to do shaker cards. (Thank you Jennifer McGuire for always enabling my craft addition!)

Once all of the leaf components were completed, I assembled the card base and extra panel together so that they sandwiched my clear shaker leaf. I then adhered the copper outline leaf to the front window. Because I didn't cover up the back of the window, it provided a see through effect so that you saw the sequins on both the outside and inside of the card. I also wrapped some natural twine around the front panel and made sure it was secure between the panels so that you wouldn't see it on the inside. To finish it up, I took some dark brown card stock and adhered a strip to the bottom of the card. It looked a little plain next to the leaf so I took my Wink of Stella clear pen and covered it.

I chose a simple sentiment and stamped it in brown ink. Now I could have just left it like that but I felt something was missing. So last came a sprinkling of sequins. I actually think they helped add to the movement of the card. Here's a close up of the card. You can really see that Wink of Stella on the bottom. It's such a subtle glitter that I just love!


I was so excited to see that the new challenge over at The Paper Players was Clean and Simple: Leaves. This card definitely fits the bill! Make sure to check out the other beautiful entries. Have a wonderful week and see you next time!


http://thepaperplayers.blogspot.com/2015/10/pp267-cas-challenge-from-nance.html




5 comments:

  1. What a cool shaker card! Great colors, perfect CAS design. Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous shaker card, Jenny! What a gorgeous leaf die cut, and I love the beautiful sequins. Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific mix of sequins, this is cute! Thanks for joining us at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this pretty sequinned leaf...just gorgeous! Perfect for a CAS fall creation! So happy that you shared this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty CAS shaker card! I love the copper foil outline of your leaf and the shimmery panel across the bottom of your card front. Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete