Where to Find Owl Be Crafty:

Friday, July 28, 2017

Bellarific Friday - Beach Photo Challenge

Happy Friday Crafters! It's been a long week and I'm looking forward to the weekend. I was inspired to use one of the newest Stamping Bella images for this week's Bellarific Friday challenge which was the beautiful beachy photo below. This stamp is called Tiny Townie Mermaid and she is so much fun to color. I'm looking forward to trying different color schemes and have a whole family of little mermaids!



For this card I started creating the background first. I stamped another a new image from Stamping Bella called Under the Sea Backdrop in Versafine Onyx black ink and heat embossed it with clear embossing powder onto a piece of Tim Holtz watercolor paper. I grabbed a stack of Distress Oxide inks and got to work inkblending the background. If you haven't tried these yet I highly recommend them! They blend like butter and are just so unique. 

I used a heat tool to set the ink and then sprinkled on water droplets. After letting the water sit for a few seconds I blotted it with paper towel. Since Oxide inks are water reactive it leaves behind super cool chalky looking spots. It's perfect for an underwater scene. For the sand, I used Copics to add some texture with dots in various shades of yellowish tan. I colored the foliage using Distress Oxide inks smooshed onto an acrylic block and applied it with a water brush. I then used a rectangle die to neatly trim the background to just smaller than an A2 size card. I adhered this to a card base that had a cute purple wave pattern. 

I wanted more detail in the image so I decided not to watercolor her but pull out my trusty Copic markers. I selected orange and yellow tones to give a nod to the inspiration photo. (Markers shown below) After coloring, I fussy cut around the image and used foam tape to pop her up in the scene. To add the appearance of scales on her tail, I applied dots of yellow and orange Stickles. I also wanted to add a little more sparkle so I used Wink of Stella on the plants, shell and bubbles. 


To complete the card, I grabbed a cute sentiment from the Under the Sea Sentiment set, stamped and heat embossed it directly onto the background. Lastly, I decided to add a few little bubbles which I adhered with clear Stickles so they sparkle too!

Below is a closer look at some of the details. 


Be sure to check out the Stamping Bella blog and see the rest of the Design Team created using this fantastic summer image. If you would like to participate in Bellarific Fridays for a chance to be entered into a monthly drawing to win some Bella Bucks click on the link below for more details. Next week's Bellarific Friday challenge is free form! All you have to do is use a current Stamping Bella stamp and your imagination. Sky's the limit! Hope you join along and create something with us! Have a wonderful day and I'll be back soon!




Supplies Used:





No comments:

Post a Comment